Monday, September 13, 2010

Calling All Artists--the search is on!


If it weren't for doing things at the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done at all! I don't think it's necessarily that I work well under pressure--it's just that I have to take one thing at a time, complete it, and move on to the next "deadline", so to speak. Yesterday and today, I was entering a competition that I've intended to enter for months. When was the deadline? Today, of course! At 5 PM--and I finished about 3 PM. :)

My favorite inspirational magazine is called "Cloth, Paper, Scissors"--promoted as
"Collage, Mixed Media, and Artistic Discovery". One of the high points of my month is the day that I find it in my mailbox! The magazine is  sponsoring an Artisan Search 2011, searching for 5 outstanding artists--1 each in 5 different areas of creativity: Mixed-media Stitch, Art Journal and Book Making, Printmaking and Silk Screening, Mixed-media Jewelry, and Collage and Assemblage.

Yesterday, I started the submission process, knowing that I had what I needed on my computer already. The first images I submitted I decided were not right for the category "Collage and Assemblage" since they were of a painting with no collage at all. Deleting the pieces proved to be the most challenging part of the whole process, but I was semi-successful doing so. Sometimes, we love a piece and aren't willing to admit that it isn't really the right piece for a certain show or theme or whatever. Once I got past that hang-up, I moved on to quickly upload 1 large and 2 thumbnail photographs of 3 different  projects and write a description for the 3 pieces.

Front View of Candy, with ribbons hanging below
After some time spent in thought, I selected 3 of the 3D mannequins that I did last year. They all use lots and lots of collage and actually are assemblages. They should "stand out in the crowd", hopefully, and I am proud to introduce you again to Candy, Sherry, and Clementine.


An unfinished Candy, showing doilies and texture of collage























This is "Parallels" and it compares/equates women and wine. :)
This is Candy, so named because she is "pink and white and, oh, so sweet"! You see here a front and back view of the finished mannequin and an unfinished view of her, in progress, where you can see the paper doilies etc. that make up her camisole. She is all different types and textures of pink and white paper, with embellishments of off-white ribbon and lace and a pink ribbon rosebud.








Next, you see Sherry, so named for the type of wine! Sherry was entered last year at the Madera Ag Show and she received a second place in the "Vines" catagory. She is a small bust, painted with skin-toned, thinned gesso and then covered with images and cut outs of wine bottles, grapes, leaves, glasses and vineyard rows. Her skin is enhanced with gold-outlined calligraphy words that describe both wines and women. The idea is much like what I used in the painting "Parallels", which compares them in even greater detail.

 

 
Sherry/Front View








Sherry/Side View


































Clementine/front view





























This is Clementine, my favorite of  the mannequin "sisters". She was entered in the Citrus category at the same Madera Ag Show and she received a third prize. She is more detailed than the other 2, larger, and has a lot more embellishment. She has old doilies and lace, buttons, and an asymmetrical ribbon "hem" and shoulder decoration.


Detail of Clementine showing texture etc.
Clementine/back view







So, wish me luck, please, since there are so many entries in this competition. If you have a chance to look online at clothpaperscissors.com, please do. When you get to the site, click on "Galleries", then "Artisan Search 2011" and then Collage/Assemblage.There are about 630 entries (3/person) so about 210 people have entered. Five semi-finalists in each category will be selected to send their pieces in for 1 year and then a winner will be selected in each of the categories as an Artisan for 2011. Quite a process! Take a look, vote for your favorites, and make some comments. I think my 3 pieces are on page 6 but it might be page 5. . . .

A long and difficult post for me today because I struggled with the images and their placement. Will I ever learn? When I first started blogging, everything was difficult. Now, only a few things are difficult and image placement (and prediction) is the hardest for me.

Onward and upward! Sparkle and Shine! :)


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the process... I am struggling now with an entry also. Day after tomorrow is the dead line. Do I or don't I? If I don't I will never know, challenges of this sort are so difficult..
    You are not the only one that procrastinates to the last moment.. Will keep our fingers crossed, I am sure your pieces will get the notoriety they deserve. They are fantastic! Mine are still nude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...
    I came here to steal a photo for an SAT flyer. I really like the new look of your blog...nice...and much more you...hug, hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you or didn't you? I hope that you did, but sometimes the process is cumbersome and other priorities take top billing.

    I try NOT to procrastinate, but I can't always avoid it. Thank you for the kind words about my mannequins. I have to get better photos of all of them--I can only hope I make the semi-finalist stage with the photos and that then, in the next stage, they will be seen in "real life". At that point, it's out of my hands, right?

    I still have 3 nude ones also, don't forget. :)Thanks for posting, Vivian. And also for writing about SAT on the Sisters7 blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I'm sorry you had to come get your own photo. I've been bogged down these last few days and I'm just finally catching up on emails etc. I'm glad to hear that you like the new look of the blog. I do, too! Very watercolorish, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete